15 Easy ways to Fight Climate Change
The problem of climate change affects us all. That is why we can all put our bit to fight or stop the rise in temperatures on the planet mainly caused by human activity. On the occasion of Global Climate Strike Day on September 27, 2019, we recommend these tips and habits that anyone can practice.
1. Change the lightbulbs to LEDS.
2. In heating and air conditioning use a programmable thermostat. Turn the heat down 2 degrees in winter and raise the air conditioner 2 degrees in summer. You will barely notice the difference.
3. Wash clothes with cold water and avoid using the clothes dryer. Tend your clothes to dry it. Recycle or donate clothes that you no longer use.
5. Buy new appliances with the energy label. Energy efficiency is measured with the following scale:
The most efficient:
6. Unplug electronic devices when not in use. On stand by mode they also consume.
7. Insulate your home well to save money and energy, both in summer and winter time.
8. Buy furniture made from wood from sustainable forests.
9. Save and do not waste water. Drink tap water. Do not drink bottled water. Landfills already contain more than 2 million tons of plastic bottles. And 1.5 million barrels of oil are used to make water bottles every year. And those bottles take more than 1,000 years to biodegrade. You can use reusable water bottles.
10. Eat less meat. Breeding of cattle, pigs and sheep creates vast amounts of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas. It also requires lot of water.
11. Buy at local stores and markets. Consume seasonal products. Bring and reuse your own shopping bags.
13 Reduce food waste. Take advantage of the storage methods and their preservation of both fresh and cooked food.
14. Walk. You will realize how many places are half an hour away on foot and you can also eliminate unnecessary trips in vehicles that make emissions and pollution worse.
15. Use public transport, use the bicycle and car sharing.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your hikes and adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don’t damage natural parks and wilderness.
DREAMPEAKS: HIKING IN MADRID. ADVENTURE TOURS IN MADRID. OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES IN SPAIN.
Text by Gabriel Blanco